Main PageShopBuilding Tracker DirectoryResearch LinksRussy Baby Productions

Gunnison History Tracker
WOODSTOCK
Milepost "D" Elevation 10,900' 
  Initially founded in 1881, Woodstock became a mining camp serving nearby silver mining claims. The town included a hotel, restaurant and bar to serve the miners and the railroad construction crews. The town was strategically located with both the Alpine and South Park Toll Road and the route of the new railroad passing through it. While the town served as the end-of-the-line for the railroad, Woodstock became the supply and shipping center for the nearby town of Pitkin.  

 As the town prospered and grew, trees were stripped from the mountain above to construct new cabins.  

 To better serve its needs, the railroad built a water tank, telegraph office, and section house. Mrs. Marcella Doyle was hired by the railroad to operate this new housing facility.  

 The snowy evening of March 10, 1884 began as any other for the Woodstock residents. The eastbound train had just departed while Mrs. Doyle served supper to the railroad crew. The saloon keeper walked across the tracks for a fresh bucket of water from the water tank. Suddenly the laboring sounds of the train passing above were replaced by the thundering roar of "white death" racing down the tree stripped mountain. The avalanche swept away the water tank, crossed the tracks and smashed into Woodstock, destroying everything in its path.  

 A rescue party from Pitkin arrived the next day to begin searching for survivors and recovering the dead. The avalanche claimed 13 fatalities, sparing only five lives. Sadly, the widowed Mrs. Doyle lost all six of her children. One of the lucky was the fiancee of one of her sons. The final victim, the saloon keeper, was not recovered until July among the ruins of the water tank.  

 Woodstock was not rebuilt. Only six stone bases of the water tank, a few rotting cabin logs and scattered stone foundation sections are all that remain today.