Narrow Gauge Railroad Exhibit at the Pioneer Museum
This exhibit consists of the Denver and Rio Grande railroad depot, steam locomotive No 268 and tender, a string of five rail cars, and the water-tank. These all relate to the narrow gauge railroad which dominated the Gunnison Country between 1881 and the 1950's when the tracks were removed. The Denver & Rio Grande steam locomotive number 268 operated extensively in the Gunnison area from the time it was built in 1882 until it was retired in 1955. It is one of only three still existing of its kind. The string of cars, all built between 1885 and 1903 were used by the D&RG in the Gunnison area.
The railroad station and water tank are excellent examples showing the design of railroad buildings and structures in the second half of the 19th century.
In addition to providing transportation to and from the outside world, the D&RG route through the Black Canyon to Cimarron was a popular tourist attraction. It also made moving cattle and sheep viable for the local ranchers.