Main PageShopBuilding Tracker DirectoryResearch LinksRussy Baby Productions

Gunnison History Tracker
202 Elk Avenue
A Little History

Built in 1882, at the 300 block of Elk Avenue, this two story, wood frame building was moved after a fire in January of 1893, via horse and tackle to it's current location.
Known as the Crested Butte House and Saloon in 1889, and was ran by Crested Butte Rancher John Rozich, from the 1890's, to the 1930's.  Hunter John Plute shot a world record elk near Anthracite Creek, at Dark Canyon, 12 miles west of Crested Butte.  John Plute later traded this rack to pay a bar tab to John Rozich, where it was displayed at this location, until later, when it was moved to the Tony's Conoco, at 331 Elk Avenue.
Then John Plute's Step-Son, Edward F. Rozman inherited the building, where he and his family lived in the rear living quarters.  He later operated the Elk Head Bar & Restaurant from 1950 to 1957, that was named in honor of the record elk, displayed at the bar.
Now this building has gone through a massive re-hab, and is now a bar & restaurant known as the Public House.