The Smith Opera House
The Smith Opera House was constructed in 1882 by Frank C. Smith. It is typical of those constructed in mining towns of the 1880's. It demonstrates an eclectic style of architecture including the Greek symmetry of design evident in the straight lines, gabled windows with lintels and colonnades on the front of the building. The design overlaps with the Italianate bracketed roof overhang and arched lintels over the windows. The Victorian influence that dominated this period is accented through the floor plan which features a central staircase and long, broad rooms and hallways. Red brick was used in the construction of the building.
The building was constructed with commercial use in mind, perhaps retail and office space on the first floor. The second floor was opened as an Opera House in 1883. In 1884, failed economics doomed the opera house and the building was sold at a sheriff's sale. It was then converted to rooming house/apartments and was renamed the Grand Apartments. The building has been renovated and is now in use as offices.
Address: 114 North Boulevard Street Gunnison
Legal: Blk 13, Lots 1-8 W. Gunnison Addition
Current Use: Offices
Contact: Joe Puchek
Designated: October 5, 2000