Main PageShopBuilding Tracker DirectoryResearch LinksRussy Baby Productions

Gunnison History Tracker
102 South Main Street
Klinkerhouse
1973-1981

Leo Klinker
Denver & Rio Grande 3rd Division Office
1882-1898

 Denver & Rio Grande Railroad

​Once the Main Office for the Denver & Rio Grande 3rd Division Operations. The offices were moved to Salida in February of 1925. 
Gunnison Hardware Co.
& Metal Shop
1957-1973

Sweede Hansen

Gunnison Arts Center
1992-Present

 Gunnison Council for the Art's 
The Three Thieves
1981-1984
Klink's Place
1984-1985
Vacant
1986-1988
COLORADO STATE HISTORIC LISTING
Local master stonemason Frederick Zugelder built the store in 1882. Originally known as the Mechling Block, the building served for nearly a decade as the freight office of the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad, becoming the Gunnison Hardware in 1898. Built with the distinctive characteristics of the Italianate style.  Italianate is characterized by a low pitched hip roof, wide overhangs, bracketed cornice, a variety of fenestration (usually very tall, narrow, double-hung, one-over-one windows), molded window surrounds, and occasionally a cupola or balustrated balcony. Simple Italianate structures have a hip roof, bracketed eaves, and molded window surrounds. A more elaborate or high style example may feature arcaded porches, quoins, towers, and ornate detailing.  The building incorporates both local materials, particularly the locally quarried stone, with architectural embellishments brought in by the recently arrived railroad.
1972
1881 - These two end buildings were torn down for the 1882 construction of the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad 3rd Division Offices on the south-east corner of Main Street and Tomichi Avenue.
Week's Cafe
1881



1921
1959
Gunnison Hardware Co.
& Metal Shop
1926-1957

Alex Campbell